Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Summer 2009--The Narrows

CARTWRIGHT FAMILY SUMMER VACATION #2--ST. GEORGE AND THE NARROWS

Joe has wanted to hike The Narrows for the last few years and we took advantage of an unplanned weekend at the end of July--our only one for the summer--and went. We wanted to do it with Courtnee before she headed to college and Halle and Lainey are now old enough and big enough that we could all go. It happened to be the 100th Anniversary of Zion's National Park so as a bonus we got in for free! The Narrows is a hike through a canyon that the Virgin River runs through. Most of it is in the water, with some shore along the way. It is so incredibly beautiful that it is well worth braving the river.

We went early in the morning to avoid the crowds, but it was so COLD! Lainey and Halle were shaking so hard that I was worried that they were getting hypothermic. In some places, the water was almost to their chins. At one point, I slipped on a rock and started going with the current. The water was so cold that I forgot I was holding Halle's hand and I dragged her under with me and then I was afraid to let go of her and held on a bit too tight. When I finally got my footing, she was crying because her hand hurt and I was crying because I smacked my shin so hard and it was very swollen and sore--the orthopedist thinks I cracked it--and it was almost the same spot as my stress fracture. Anyway, at some point we all went in, but by the time we turned around and headed back, it had warmed up and we were really enjoying the cool water.

Despite everything, it was amazing and we were all glad we went--except Halle who says she is never going again!








No comments: