Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Summer 2009--THE BOOT!

TOO MUCH RUNNING=STRESS FRACTURE=TORTURE DEVICE!

After running an April marathon, I jumped back into running too hard and too soon and ended up with a stress fracture. It was painful, but after two trips to the PT he thought it was just a severe tendinitis so I trained for and ran the Wasatch Back, hiked to Timpanogos Cave and back, and ran a 5k on the 4th of July. By then, I knew something was REALLY wrong so I went to an orthopedist who x-rayed and diagnosed the fracture. The treatment was to wear a stabilizing boot and no running for at least 6 weeks. That meant 6 weeks of wearing a boot during the heat of the summer. It also meant a week at Girl's Camp, three days at Youth Conference, several days in St. George and hiking The Narrows at Zion's National Park. Add on back-to-school shopping and all of the usual stuff and it was a miracle that it healed, but it DID! The boot was hot, uncomfortable, heavy, and I am so glad I'm not wearing it anymore.

No comments: