Friday, August 21, 2009

GREAT BOOK!

Just finished reading Christopher Mcdougall's Born to Run and loved it! In fact, I couldn't put it down and as a result my house is a mess, I'm still in PJs and desperately need a shower, I'm not really sure what my daughters are doing, and it is 1:00 p.m. It was the best book on running I have ever read, but it was so much more than that. There was a real spiritual feel (in the mystic, evolutionary, natural sense) about it and I now understand better why I like to run and why I have to run.


That being said, I haven't ran one step for over six weeks due to a stress fracture and I can't wait to get started. Although after finishing this book, I'm tempted to run bare foot, eat nothing but beans and corn tortillas with salad for breakfast, and run an ultramarathon. It is definitely not the distance of the ultra that appeals to me, but the scenery! I already know I prefer trail runs and running outside of the crowd seems wonderful. I got a small taste of it at Ragnar, but would love a marathon on trails.

*Picture of Christopher Mcdougall running barefoot.